OSTEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR BABIES
A baby’s entrance into the world can involve a lot of stress and strain during birth. Labour can be prolonged or intervention may be required. This can result in musculoskeletal strains and as the skull bones are malleable and mobile, they too can be strained during birth.
Some common problems that we treat:
- Digestive complaints
- Reflux or constipation
- Feeding problems
- Excessive crying
- Sleeping problems
- Birth strain such as head moulding or neck strain
- Walking or crawling issues
Osteopaths are primary health care practitioners, and are trained to recognise indicators requiring referral when required. We will also communicate with healthcare specialists including the family GP and accompanying parent or guardian.
What will treatment involve?
During an appointment, a case history is taken, followed by an Osteopathic and physical examination to help identify and diagnose the problem being experienced. Our Osteopaths will work with you and your baby to formulate an appropriate plan moving forward.
Treatment, utilising a range of very gentle techniques may help alleviate symptoms. Generally, gentle Cranial Osteopathy and indirect release techniques are employed during treatment. Step Into Health Care does not use spinal manipulations on babies or infants.
Effective, early treatment can prevent problems from reoccurring in the future. A consultation will also include relevant advice to help improve symptoms and implement an overall management plan.
Some appointment tips:
- Try to schedule an appointment at a time of day when your baby is generally settled
- If possible, ensure your baby has had a feed or snack before treatment
- If possible, ensure your baby has had a sleep or rest before treatment
- Bringing along their favourite small toy or book can be helpful